December 5, 2010 6 Comments
Our Agri-culture History:
Subcontinent agriculture had an old history of cultivation of plants, and domestication of crops and animals. Two times rainy season , presence of large glaciers y melting in variety of rivers,vast fertile plains and moderate temperatures with sunny weathers were the major reasons of two harvests being reaped in a year .South Asian belt extended to Afghanistan had given yield of finest and largest food basket not only sufficient for local but merchants of other areas reached there to take food of their choice and taste to other parts of world —In middle ages under Islamic management excellent land and water management systems were developed with an aim of providing uniform growth to agriculture products and no doubt were successful to develop a comprehensive agricultural program in whole region.
When Pakistan and India were divided both areas had popularity as big food producers for local and supplier of world. British companies were on forefront in this agriculture trade where they took the help of strong feudal group of India to get the best exports to European markets without giving proper share or profit to poor farmers of India.
Pakistan at the time of creation had almost 75 %population was engaged with farming.Due to urbanization now this strength has been reduced to 65% where people are directly or indirectly dependent on agriculture growth. In the year 2008 almost 20% of GDP(gross domestic product) of Pakistan comes from agriculture sector.Livestock mainly links with this sector also has 9% share in GDP.
Present scenario of shrinking of water shortages, devastation through natural disasters like latest flood and earthquake , absence of proper land reforms and inadequate facilities to farmers are not favoring our agriculture growth which should match with overpopulation rate.All decelerating factors of agriculture sites are producing serious food security threats which would be brought hunger tsunami in coming years. So focusing our efforts toward our traditional way of living on agriculture and dairy products can widened our food-producing capacity without damaging our ecology that has already be disturbed by unchecked industrialization.
In this perspective, it would be very easy for us on grass root level that agriculture should replace industrial sector as latest development trend. It will, , not only increase the rate of GDP, but will conserve our food basket and environment for safer and green Pakistan. Nevertheless,rise in the agriculture output shall eliminate future threats of food deficiency to our large population.
Pakistan luckily comes , in the category of favored sunny areas irrigated, humid and semi humid and dry environment too. Therefore, it would be easier to foster agriculture for alleviation of acute poverty coming ahead due to mismanagement of our present and past governments.
It is tragic craze of military rulers toward defense deals that have indirectly reduced the basic agriculture development index of Pakistan and we have focused our energy and resources to get piles of arms instead of improving quality and quantity of original food chains with latest modifications.
The UN is warning countries says that they should need to increase world food production by 70 per cent by 2050, when the global population will have risen from six to nine billion.
Many developing countries specially in Latin America and India too have already diverted their attention to increase their agriculture productivity to handle future food shortages.
So in view of coming danger of food deficiency, Green Revolution in Pakistan should be planned.Leaving aside our wrong priorities , we should gather our available resources that can transform routine agriculture into a dynamic sector by involving peasant and small producers who have become very frustrated due to natural and man made mishaps in agriculture sector .
Prompt Steps Should taken For Green March:
- Micro financing system should be available to small farmers and specially women of rural areas at doorsteps for independent rural deals so that they would contribute in this green march as per their experience and need.Different types of agro dealers scheme can be introduced to provide improved seeds pesticides and fertilizers t0 trainee farmers .This would not only improve the imperative nutrient need of thousand of rural families but will also give them sense of financial independence while living in their vicinity.
- Role of middle men for purchasing agriculture products and control of feudal and industrial groups on farmers should be strictly checked by govt.In last years such groups are now behaving as food cartels of Pakistan by controlling food supply and its prices in local markets.Govt has to strengthen its corroded system of check and balance in agriculture sector for the sake of larger interests of country and its huge population.
- Current agricultural practices which are neither economically nor environmentally sustainable should be modified . Poorly maintained irrigation systems need a lot of improvement for moving towards Green Pakistan.
- Farmers access to markets is hampered by poor rural infrastructure so it is urgent need of time to focus on rural development by giving them proper roads and other living facilities so that they would themselves think of improving their living setup by attaching them with traditional and modern harvesting procedures.
- Economical water irrigation system should be provided to farmers to handle the water shortages.
- Export of good quality agriculture product should be banned as such deals are made without estimating the local need. It subsequently becoming reason of food shortages and high prices of food commodities for common man. Large production of fruits and vegetables should be stored and processed in local level in form of tin or dry foods.This would improve the storage capability of food and generate employment too in production areas .Pakistan can earn also on same level via this food storage industry.
- With the help of media,NGOs and Govt institutes relating to agriculture ,A comprehensive plan of field jobs to motivate the public for Green March should be started.This can be done by just motivating people to even garden or develop any small land near to them for season vegetables and plants.Under this awareness program the supply of start-up seeds and information regarding training on how to till and fertilize the soil should be started on priority.Students of School and colleges can be mobilized in educational institutes and Agriculture training should be placed as mandatory subject for students up to college level.